Dr. Katie Brown talks about Low Vision Services
Experiencing lower clarity of vision as the result of any number of conditions doesn’t have to mean giving up on your eyesight altogether.
The professionals in low vision and rehabilitative services at the UAMS Harvey & Bernice Jones Eye Institute develop low vision strategies to help patients achieve goals such as:
- Identifying street signs and bus numbers
- Watching television
- Managing household and job-related tasks
- Keeping up with school work
Our friendly and experienced UAMS staff members provide adaptive equipment, rehab services and information to patients experiencing low vision as a result of congenital ocular conditions and diseases such as age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, cataracts and diabetic retinopathy. Rehabilitation techniques for patients experiencing vision loss resulting from stroke or brain injury is also provided.
Other services include:
- Comprehensive low vision evaluations
- Prescription and dispensing of low vision devices and adaptive equipment
- Rehabilitative training in the use of remaining vision
- Adaptive technology evaluations
- Referrals to occupational therapy for further assistance
Learn more about our eye care services or how to make an appointment at the Jones Eye Institute.
Patient story – Ten Years of Blindness Ended